Vinyl Roof

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Roof

Has anyone Dipped a vinyl roof? I have an old 86 Mercury Grand Marquis. The vinyl roof is starting to crack. I've replaced it before, but in this Alabama sun it only lasted about 4 years. It would be nice if Plasti Dip would work and give me a few more years. Any help/advice will be appreciated!

I saw someone before who had dipped his fabric convertible top. He said it held up pretty well I'll see if I can find the post and link it

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: Vinyl Roof

http://www.dipyourcar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9140

Comment

Thanks! I wonder how it will do on vinyl. Guess I'll have to try a test patch and see how it goes. But I have rain scheduled the next 5 days. If I do it, I'll post pics.

Comment

I hate the rain haha yea I don't see why it shouldn't work just clean it really well

Comment

Update

I did a couple of test patches. I used anthracite metallic gray. The 1st one is on the most sun damaged area. It feels like sand paper. It was hard to even clean with alcohol. You can see a concentrated circle. SANY1734.jpg That part did not peel off. You can see my finger nail scratches on the upper right side. SANY1736.jpg

The 2nd test was on the more slick area with much less sun damage. SANY1738.jpg It does peels off fairly easy. SANY1739.jpg Not as easy as paint, but it does come off. There was a little residue left behind, but that disappeared after a couple of days in the sun.

In my opinion Dip will repair the roof or at the very least make it look way better. However, it will be permanent on the most severely damaged areas.

Comment

Vinyl Roof!

Originally posted by v8power View Post
              I did a couple of test patches. I used anthracite metallic gray. The 1st one is on the most sun damaged area. It feels like sand paper. It was hard to even clean with alcohol. You can see a concentrated circle. [ATTACH=CONFIG]24842[/ATTACH] That part did not peel off. You can see my finger nail scratches on the upper right side. [ATTACH=CONFIG]24843[/ATTACH]

The 2nd test was on the more slick area with much less sun damage. [ATTACH=CONFIG]24844[/ATTACH] It does peels off fairly easy. [ATTACH=CONFIG]24845[/ATTACH] Not as easy as paint, but it does come off. There was a little residue left behind, but that disappeared after a couple of days in the sun.

In my opinion Dip will repair the roof or at the very least make it look way better. However, it will be permanent on the most severely damaged areas.
              I just signed up on this website few moments ago just to ask few questions in regards to the SAME topic you're on my friend!

I have a 78' Coupe DeVille with a quarter vinyl top roof! It's originally a California Car so the sun DAMAGED it to sh*t! I attached few photos of the cracks I have in my roof.

I was wondering, can these cracks be filled with Plasti Dip? I want to dip it White! Should look fresh.

top.jpgtop2.jpgtop3.jpg
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SpaceShipKing; 09-08-2014, 06:06 AM.

Comment

You're not going to fill those cracks with dip. Dip is thicker than paint, but still is best measured in mils, not sixteenths or eighths of an inch. You'll need some kind of flexible filler in those cracks before dipping.

Now, it might be that if you dipped it white, it would make the cracks less obvious just because they'd be white instead of the greyish color they are now.

Comment

Originally posted by Neal View Post
                  You're not going to fill those cracks with dip. Dip is thicker than paint, but still is best measured in mils, not sixteenths or eighths of an inch. You'll need some kind of flexible filler in those cracks before dipping.

Now, it might be that if you dipped it white, it would make the cracks less obvious just because they'd be white instead of the greyish color they are now.
                  Thanks very much for the reply in such a timely fashion. I was thinking to fill the cracks with an epoxy of some sort, than dip it white, an perhaps it will look good?

Comment

Never have really thought about doing this. Really wouldn't think it would work surprised it does though.
                    Go Royals! KC pride.
                    My name is "Cat" because I didn't know what to put, so I just put cat. Don't Judge.

Comment

I think that instead of epoxy, you'll need something with some flex to it. Epoxy dries too solid and I think the flexing of the vinyl will pull it free over time. Some kind of silicone adhesive/sealant might work. Maybe something like this.

Comment

I really liked this part of the article with a nice and interesting topics have helped a lot of people who do not challenge things people should know...!!! http://www.ahlibeton.co.id/2015/09/epoxy-lantai.html

Comment

Working...
                        X